Thursday, March 19, 2009

full frontal


So I've been working on this beastly research paper for my senior English class. We picked our own topics and I, in my infinite wisdom, choose feminism in art. I though it'd be mildly interesting. Then, a bit into the research, I was about ready to put up with male oppression if I never had to see another bit of vagina symbolism ever again. Then I read this. I'd always called myself a feminist but this book really brought it home for me. It's clear, accessible, written for young women who missed out on the bra burning (or not, since that never happened), and makes it clear that feminism affects my/your/our/his/her/everyone's everyday life. Feminism was never real for me before. I've had the experience of not being able to get my birth control because the Walgreens manager's beliefs. I've been harassed with whistles since I was about twelve. I guess the biggest thing this book did for me was get me to understand that I should be angry about that stuff. It pisses me off but I live it Oklahoma and being a liberal non-Christian young woman I'm pretty used to suppressing my anger at stupid things. This reminded me it's okay to get pissed but you've got to do something with it. Anyway, READ THIS BOOK (you too boys).

No comments: