Monday, December 1, 2008

January/Februray!

New resolution! New resolution! New resolution! I'm so glad to be away from felon's and their voting rights! Though I'm not sure this won't be more complicated.
RESOLVED: The United States ought to submit to the jurisdiction of an international court designed to prosecute crimes against humanity.

So the first thing I think when I see this is: omg this is just like that one we did at districts a few years ago. And then I think: oh no, that topic was gross! Either way, I've got to do so here's me rambling first thoughts.

Sovereignty is a huge deal in this resolution. How much can/should the U.S. give up? We've already given up some in joining the United Nations and signing on to the Geneva Conventions and the like but we don't necessarily listen to then anyway. The ICC, which I need to read up on, is the real example of the court in question here. The U.S. refuses to join the ICC for some legit reasons and some questionable political ones. (It doesn't really matter because we're 'merica and we do what we want, bitches!)What also needs to be considered is what "crimes against humanity" (also potentially useful: here and here) are exactly and how else we expect the world to deal with them.

In other breaking news:
I'm Swiss, yodelodelodelay-hee-foo'
Which Survivor of the Impending Nuclear Apocalypse Are You?
A Rum and Monkey joint.
BEST EVER!

No comments: